I’m often asked about available event planning programs from people who are confused and overwhelmed and don’t know where to start. With so many options, I can understand the frustration. This is an unregulated industry so it’s important to do your research before paying for something.
These 7 questions will help your research and weigh your options:
1. Is the trainer a recognized expert in the field of event planning? Search their name on Google to see what you can find about them.
2. Is the training preparing you for the realities of being an event planner? No matter how talented you are, if you can’t price your services properly, effectively market your business, promote yourself to the right audience, create your own portfolio, and find potential clients, you won’t have a leg to stand on. A worthwhile training program should cover these areas; otherwise this will amount to nothing more than a hobby.
3. Does the trainer have real-life experience planning and managing events and starting and growing a profitable event planning business? Theory vs. life experience is hugely different and experience trumps theory and is more useful.
4. Is free information available to aspiring event planners?
5. Is there a guarantee? For example, can you get your money back if you’re not satisfied?
6. Is the format of the program practical or will you have to travel or be away from family for hours or days?
7. Are you being promised official credentials for completing the program or does the training company admit that event planning is an unregulated field that does not require any credentials?
There’s a huge variation in event planning courses, even ones Universities offer, so don’t assume a program is better because it costs more. Answer the above questions so you know what you’re getting. The reality is, with the right tools, event planning is a very lucrative business.
So, if you spend $100 or thou$ands on a program, consider the big picture and get what you need to position yourself and ensure your event planning career or event planning business is profitable.
Sign up for free weekly advice at, //www.eventplanningblueprint.com